StarBOOKS event brings authors, booths, entertainment, giveaways | Events
South Middle School has partnered with various community organizations to provide an engaging hands-on event to bring awareness for the need of universal literacy. The event is called StarBOOKS and is planned for February 26, 2013 from 4:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. at South Middle School. A free family dinner will be served from 4:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. with activity booths scheduled from 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Four published authors: Melissa Barton, Stephanie Brown, Terry Brown, and Donna Coomer Bumpus will be joining South Middle School for this fun family event. Also attending will be representatives from Community Methodist Hospital, Kenergy, Barnes and Noble, WSON, Henderson County Library, HCPL Bookmobile, Bank Trust Financial, Henderson Community College, Henderson Lead-2-Read, Rotary Colonels 2 College, Thelma B. Johnson Early Learning Center, Niagara Elementary, and A.B. Chandler Elementary. These businesses, schools, and community partners will be sponsoring interactive booths that will help promote literacy among students and their families.
The following booths will be displayed during the event:
1. Financial Literacy booth hosted by Bank Trust Financial;
2. Book Mobile, Free eBook Resources, & issuing library cards hosted by the Henderson County Public Library;
3. Henderson Lead-2-Read;
4. Read It: Make It Nutrition booth hosted by the Henderson County School Food Services;
5. National History Day Exhibit booth hosted by South Middle School’s social studies department;
6. Niagara Elementary booth;
7. A.B. Chandler Elementary booth;
8. Thelma B. Johnson Early Learning Center booth;
9. Sensory booth hosted by South Middle School’s language arts department;
10. Make Your Own Slime hosted by South Middle School’s math department;
11. Using Pages to Tour the World booth hosted by South Middle School’s social studies department;
12. Energy Efficiency & Robotics booth hosted by South Middle School’s science department;
13. Wheel of Literacy hosted by the Gifted and Talented department;
14. Bowling for Books booth hosted by the physical education department;
15. Story hosted by South Middle School’s Library;
16. Book Fair booth hosted by South Middle School’s Library;
17. Make Your Own Mark hosted by South Middle School’s special education department;
18. Book, Magazine, Video and Puzzle Swap booth;
19. Book Characters will join the crowd hosted by students of South Middle School; and
20. Band and choir performances by South Middle School students.
StarBOOKS is a free event and is open to the public. This is the second year for StarBOOKS at South Middle School. All activity booths, live entertainment performed by South Middle School’s band, and coffee are available from 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. Participants will have an opportunity to win a NOOK eReader, numerous best sellers, and gift baskets.
South Middle School is still recruiting and working with community businesses to join in the effort to educate students and their families about the various forms of literacy and have fun while doing so.