Steven Cotter indicted in the murder of his wife, Michelle | News
HENDERSON CO., KY (WFIE)- A Henderson County Grand Jury has indicted the husband of a Henderson County dance coach who was shot and killed in May, on a murder charge.
He was an assistant coach of the high school boys soccer team. She was an assistant dance team coach and guidance counselor.
Officials say 36-year-old Steven Cotter was indicted Wednesday, accused of murdering his wife, Michelle Cotter.
On May 15, officials arrived on scene just before 3 a.m. where officers say they found 39-year-old Michelle Lewis Cotter with a gunshot wound in the couple's home on Cardinal Lane.
Emergency officials began treating her on scene and she was taken by ambulance to Methodist Hospital, where she was pronounced dead 45 minutes later. Michelle died of a single gunshot wound to the torso.
Michelle Cotter, was an assistant dance team coach at Henderson County High School and a guidance counselor at College View Middle School in Owensboro.
Police say Cotter was home and was trying to kill himself when they arrived. Police say officers tased him to keep him from doing so.
Commonwealth Atty. Bill Markwell tells 14 News Steven Cotter will be arraigned Tuesday. Trial is expected to be by mid-April.
It's taken seven months any charges to be filed in this case.
Cotter could face 20 to 50 years if convicted.
- Official cause of death released in Henderson shooting
- Co-workers respond to loss of dance coach and counselor
- Family, friends gather to remember Henderson Co. counselor, dance coach
Copyright 2013 WFIE. All rights reserved.
Top Henderson Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Started a business? Want to? Seminar can help
- Daviess County foster parents to be honored at state event
- Daviess Co. Sheriff's Office takes steps to promote safe driving during summer
- O'boro man facing over 1,000 counts of child porn appears in court
- Come "sit down" with the DCPS superintendent this morning